Monday, October 29, 2012

really serious troubleshooting business

I was troubleshooting a 5 month old inconsistent and intermittent problem earlier because I had been relying on the vendors and the issue had not reached the fire-on-the-backside stage.

The problem was easily resolved  in 30 minutes after I figured out the 10 lines of shell script that was fetching the files from the ftp server. I would not have been able to write the shell script from scratch, but I guess I have a good translator in my head.

Before that, 2 external and 2 internal data centre server administrators, 5 application vendors, infra manager, and myself, were all unable to resolve the problem. Just 2 weeks ago, the server admin was asking the infra manager why he is taking so long to solve the problem. The server admin was telling the application team that their code was wrong, the files need to reference the root instead of the sub folder. The application team blamed the script for not copying their files properly. I wasn't contributing constructively by chasing the application vendor for status updates as well.

11 people involved. What a joke, all I did was to tell the shell script to read from the sub folder instead of the root, but to be able to troubleshoot the problem, the person needs to understand shell script and html, which sounds like common sense, but I guess the stars were not aligned.

No comments:

Post a Comment