Thursday, September 3, 2015

To Buy or Not?

For the past one month, I had been on a mini buying spree. My friends asked me every week whether I bought anything and I was buying something every week. At the end of one month, I felt poor. I was referring to shares on the SG stock market. Money not enough. I deployed partial warchest meant for -10% correction and -20% correction all within the month of Aug 2015. The last time I deployed partial warchest for -10% correction was Dec 2014 and I had 8 months to save and top-up my warchest. No chance this time.


Theoretically, the idea was to have 100% capital control, i.e. for every $1 invested, $1 is contributed to the warchest.

When the market makes a -5% correction (benchmarked against the  highest STI reached), spend 5% of warchest, and only buy when the price drops. When the price is on the uptrend, then save money.

In the worst case scenario (based on history), when the market makes a -50% correction, spend 100% of warchest.

The rationale behind the 100% capital control is that in the event of a flash crash of -50%, I will be able to pick up stocks at half the price which will offer double protection of my invested capital in an upturn. That was the theory.

What happened between Jul and Aug was that prices dropped by 5% consecutively every one-two weeks. Following the theory, I should have spent 20% when the market was -20%, but I overspent. I spent 25%. That sucks.

So to buy or not to buy...

  1. Sit out from the market for a while to top up my warchest.
  2. Take a little risk and continue to buy little by little since -20% corrections are once every 4 years and we are still not near the once every 10 year crash cycle.
I think I will continue to buy, and my friends will continue to watch me buy. Nobody dares to buy and I like it that way (until I am done shopping).

No comments:

Post a Comment