Tuesday, December 27, 2011

desktop support woos

As you know, emails normally reach me after they have travelled a million miles around the world. Today we decided to make a call to the helpdesk call centre to enquire the status of a ticket about slow loading of m$ word documents on external servers and our intranet. When I read the email history, just like how you will flip the passport to look at all the visa stamps from all the various customs your passport had passed through, it seemed quite obvious that it was a desktop setting issue, which was why I didn't bother about it. The problem is, things that are obvious to me are never obvious to others for some odd reason. I decided to look at it because noobs were asking whether our server is slow -.-"

The answer the call center gave was somewhere along the line that the problem has been identified to be caused by a slow server in the network, which is curently undergoing migration. We asked him what he meant, he said there is a legacy server in the network which is causing the slowness. I still couldn't understand what he meant, but from what I know, the only migration works are the DNS and AD servers. The guy taking our call is also not dumb, he told us honestly, that he doesn't know what it means too. lol Thank goodness, there is a sane person in the call center. He said he will check and call back. I don't know how the story continued because I didn't follow it.

The next story was about a website's site access statistics report being inaccurate. As it was a straightforward thing, I didn't even look at it, I just let the vendors ding dong among themselves. So after 1 month, I took a look. After looking at the stats, I realised what the problem was. The stats included those pages which will result in access denied pages, and access denied page wasn't part of the stats. You can just imagine the user questioning why certain users who are not supposed to have access to those pages/sites are showing up in the stats report, and the vendors replying to check the permission of those users, and after the permissions are checked, these ppl don't have access but the stats shows they have access, so the user said it's a security breach and wants me to investigate. How intelligent. Product design wise, hatepoint doesn't differentiate access denied or access allowed, which sounds dumb, but that's what the vendor said, so I just left it as that for now.

So yah, the queue to see doctor me is about 1 month's long. If they perservere long enough, ie generate >20 emails in my mail box, I will look at them because those vendors have been paid to resolve those problems, and by right, I shouldn't even have to solve problems for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment