Friday, February 13, 2015

Reading into my Investment Linked Policy (ILP) - Part 2

In Part 1, I explained at a very high-level how ILP works and highlighted two important risks that are often overlooked. I also overlooked it when I bought the product. As I am writing this, I am also in touch with my agent to learn more about the product to see how I can "save" my product from becoming trash because I hope to lead a good (and long) life. You will understand why I describe it as trash by the end of this article.

This only applies if you have an insurance component to an ILP. For example, life insurance, terminal illness and disability, crisis cover and early crisis cover.

Risk 1: Vary Premium
Risk 2: Reduction in Yield

Big Idea: Insurance premiums are deducted from the accumulated premium you had paid to the ILP seller. In the initial years, you pay more than what is deducted. In the later years, you pay less than what is deducted, but the balance is covered by the excess that had been accumulated. At some point in time, there will not be enough to pay for the premium. What you pay for is what the insurer calls mortality charges.

Mortality charges is a fixed rate determined by your age, gender, and whether you smoke, for every $1000 insured. This is independent of the premium you pay or the age you start the policy. The age you start the policy and the expected sum insured required will be reverse engineered to a premium such that the break even cost looks good on the benefit illustration.

An extract of how the mortality charges look like is shown below.


I transcribed the numbers into a spreadsheet to do a simple break-even chart. The yearly premium listed is the insurance premium based on a benefit sum assured of $100,000 for each condition (Death, Critical Illness, Early Crisis). My yearly premium is $2,699.


Three rows had been highlighted, which basically showed three potential outcomes of the policy. For ease of explanation and understanding, I had left out sales charge and monthly $5 admin charge, but it will be there.

At 55 years old, the insurance premium of $2,727 will be more than my premium of $2,699. I would be inadvertently forced to stop my early crisis insurance coverage if I do not want to top up the short fall. While the agent's argument is that the accumulated investment returns over the past years could cover the premium, I am skeptical (but more on that later).

Assuming I stop my early crisis coverage at 55 years old, I would be faced with a similar decision point at 65 years old, when the death and critical illness coverage premium will cost $2,938, more than the $2,699 premium. Hmph, so I may be forced to stop my critical illness coverage.

Dividing $100,000 by $2,699, excluding projected returns and charges, a break-even point is at 37 years old, which is 32 + 37 = 69 years old in my example. This is a hide-cash-under-pillow scenario.

Assuming I stop my critical illness coverage at 65 years old, so that my policy can still be active, and if I check out of this world at 69 years old, I would probably just breakeven and have been no worse off with hiding cash under my pillow for 37 years. I potentially could have some cash value remaining in the policy, which I actually do not expect to be much.

At 72 years old, my death coverage (also known as life insurance) will cost $2602, which starts to growth rather exponentially. Anything after 69 theoretically means not "worthwhile" because the guaranteed death benefit is only $100,000 no matter how much you plough in. Earlier arguments had also established that it is impossible to think about critical illness coverage after 65 years old, so there really is no benefit to continue with the policy.

Now I come to the last part about why I am skeptical that the accumulated investment returns (also known as cash value) will not be able to cover a lifetime of premiums. If you have a project return that growths in a linear straight line graph, and an insurance charge that grows in an exponential line graph, we cannot confidently guarantee the projected returns cover the insurance premium charges.

Finally, even the benefit illustration provided in the policy document shows it too, although very (smartly) subtlely.


The last line stops at 40, which does not really tell you the whole truth. At 4% projected returns, the cash value will be $9,000. Based on the mortality charge table, you know that insurance premium will cost $10,570, which cannot be covered by the $9,000. This is where Risk 1: Vary Premium enters the picture. I will need to top up the difference if I want the policy to still be active, else it will be terminated.

Finally, at 8% projected return, Risk 2: Reduction in Yield is acted out. If they had really listed the benefit illustration beyond 40 years, nobody would have bought this product.

Revised image as there was a calculation error earlier that showed break-even at 85 years old.

Indirectly, I am expected to check out at 89 years old, and that is actually based on an extremely optimistic projected return of 8% + average 4% sale charge = 12% return. The early crisis charges also stop at 85 years old in the policy document. Just nice.

I will probably have Part 3 after I have managed to "save" my policy. While many people advocate to terminate the plan, switch to term insurance and cut loss early, I am exploring converting this to a pure ILP product without insurance coverage, or minimal insurance coverage, which appears to be the best option at the moment.

8 comments:

  1. I study my portfolios a lot.

    Risk 1: vary premium, actually that just means you can increase premium (not less than $50 per month) at any time and it starts next month (for monthly, for yearly, is next year) it also states you can decrease (I understand the minimum is $100per month) from next payment. Nothing to do with mortality charges.

    risk 2: reduction in yield
    actually they use age 65 because they need to use some end point in time. But it helps to make the value more if you started at say 25 vs 35. But it also makes it worse if you started at 30 vs 35, unless for that, they make the age at 60. Reduction in yield includes operational expenses (salaries, rent, ie. All in the form of sales charges and allocations) and mortality charges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For reduction in yield, you see the projected 8% pa minus expenses turn it into 1.7%

    I reckon you have maxed out your coverage and added some very expensive riders (probably the early stage rider). I leave as an exercise to you to calculate how many times more expensive is the early stage rider to the normal CI rider.

    and whether you find the early stage rider sum assured coverage (you only claim half for each early stage illness) to be significant to you (as percentage of your monthly expenses) and whether you have that cash reserve that you do not intend to use as a warchest (pffftt... I can only scoff at those who calculate their cagr on their invested amount and not their total networth)


    ReplyDelete
  3. Do note that you can decrease your sum assured and correspondingly the mortality charges without decreasing your monthly premiums (if you bought it for 4 years already, barring the mortality charges, there's only the monthly admin fee and sales charges left).

    If you plotted your mortality charges into excel, you will find the inflexion? Point where it starts to increase exponentially at age 40 to 45. This is the point where, if you want to lower your sum assured and corresponding mortality charges, you can check if your yearly cash inflow from your entire investment portfolio (treasuries, equities, bonds, funds etc) has rendered your coverage insignificant.

    I find this point in the timeline crucial. Of course, 20 years before that more crucial lah, because if you didn't grow all your available money from 20 years prior, don't need to calculate already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For this kind of ilp to be useful, you have to start early young age ie. from your first post, the more allocation you can muster the better.

    The bigger the size the better. Because it allows you to invest from a smaller amount versus saving up to buy 1 lot of shares.

    Time factor - 1 year to save for 1 lot could be akin to 7% to 15% missed.

    Current shares brokerage charges min $25? So entry and exit is 5% for per $1000 share investment
    So you can see that is the reference point.

    I don't bother to list diversification because different people have different opinions on that and some are bound to point out sti etf an an example without knowing what kind of diversification can be discussed here. Too long a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The main point for consideration is this:

    There has been a change in the definitions of critical illnesses. (It's in the news.) So from 1st Feb, you can't get the old definitions anymore. I leave it to you whether you find "old is gold" is true.

    but on offer is still money, so I can definitely see the logic to reduce at an opportune time at an older age when the mortality rates start to jump at a faster pace and you have increasing cash inflow from your total investment portfolio rendering the coverage insignificant.

    cheers on your considered style of blogging.

    Some self styled expert finance bloggers without such an instrument and without selfinterest would just be screaming at the top of their lungs for others to terminate their ilps just based on "surface opinions".

    And some so called ilp experts who come out with ebooks on ilps and advise people to terminate theirs can't wait to promote their superficial knowledge or for you to terminate yours and get some new coverage from them. (Being financial salesmen themselves)

    Sorry. End of rant. Delete if you may.

    hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the sharing SMK! I accept my sub-par investment and use the product as an example to educate others, hence i also don't target the company/agent. If I totally can't salvage it then I will consider it a bad investment and cut loss.

    For risk 1 vary premium, while it can mean you self-initiate to increase or decrease, my point was that this clause could also mean that you will be inadvertently forced to increase or risk termination of policy when cash value hits 0. When the agent tells you fixed premium, it is not the whole truth.

    Rider (early crisis waiver, crisis waiver, accident, medical reimbursement, etc) percentages are the same in term and life plans. At least that was what my agent quoted and his explanation was there is no cash value and the premium is calculated based on entry age, gender, smoker/non-smoker, duration.

    Plotting the charges into a graph is a good idea for more articles! I am quite sure it will be interesting.

    I agree with you that there are similar reference points such as 5% brokerage fee for $1000 purchase. Even the Nikko AM blue chip investment plan by OCBC/POSB that boosts $100 min purchase per transaction is also charging about 5%.

    Finally, ILP/whole life insurance is one of the last things I will recommend anyone to buy. I describe my purchase as backside itchy... http://littletoybrush.blogspot.sg/2014/12/what-made-me-buy-whole-life-insurance.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ILP coverage is not meant to be whole life. Dont be mistaken. However the only reasonable comparison is a combination of 2: a whole life term insurance and a fund that is on monthly input.

    By the way, I find you are quite pessimistic about market performance. If you look at broad markets, you will find that 8% to 12% pa is a representative average return you see for stocks over a 90 year time frame and likewise 4% to 8% for bonds over the same time frame. If you don't feel likewise, there is a good chance you need to expand your horizon beyond the limitations of a small country. If not, you are forcing yourself to stock pick. And from a limited choice and limited volume market no less.

    Some of the US funds grew 14% pa over the past 5 years while I believe SG is > 8% over the same period.

    A good idea that I carried out years ago was to buff my knowledge of asset classes in different macro environments or you may find your preconceptions limiting, outdated or obstinately incorrect due to inherent biases.

    ReplyDelete