Sunday, February 26, 2012

objecti-fying usability

I was googling the whole night to level up my knowledge of usability testing so that I am will look like an expert, but after I stumbled upon this site, the hubby said something which made me rethink whatever I have been reading.


That was the website I went to. There were many boxes, but it looked nice. The placement of the boxes are random, opening it on 2 PCs yielded a different look, which also means that every time you visit the site, you see a different baits. It's a bait because they are just different temptations. Anyway, I said, how did they think of something so simple but leaves a very deep impression in the user's mind?

The hubby then said, actually hatepoint also has a similar concept, with their webparts, boxing up contents across the page. I was also recalling the whole of last week trying to understand why my user doesn't want to sign off the requirement specs for a website design. He was saying that the content seems to be very boxed up, a box here, a box there. When I was talking with the vendor, I also found it hard to convince myself that I had to ask them to change the design to something I can't even visualise myself, boxes that don't look squarish.  In the end, it was still very boxy, and rounding the corners of the boxes isn't going to help.

And after looking at this cooljapan site, I objectively define usability has the ability to make boxes not be noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment