Tuesday, July 17, 2012

never trust old birds no matter how convincing they sound

I know I shouldn't be laughing at others, but I just found it a little unbelievable for a manager to not know how single sign on works. It started with an innocent question whether we can test single sign on on ipads because so far we have been testing on windows machines. He said, with conviction, that there was no need to test because the login module is disabled after single sign on is enabled.

We were awe-struck. After explaining to him that the login module wasn't being disabled, he thought that the login prompt is something triggered by the active directory (AD), and after more explanation, he still said that there will not be any log in prompt. Windows authentication was an alien term to him, after explaining to him that windows authentication is a windows client to windows server single sign on mode, he was completely lost.

Not laughing. Few months ago, I said something noob-ish. I always remember such moments because it sticks out like a sore thumb on my report card. The infra team could be bitching away over how noob-ish I was when I asked them to convert a database cluster from an active-passive mode to an active-active mode, but it was because this unbelievable manager told me that it could be done! I had learnt my lesson not to listen to what he says, because even google is more reliable!

The road to a good reputation is to always to verify my sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment