Friday, January 20, 2012

The power of double

My friend commented that I havent been posting much on fb, which is true. Over the past 1 month, my workload doubled miraculously, but the time I have stayed the same, which meant that my response time for my original work doubled.

Simple logic right?

The power of doubling my workload in one month forced me to make changes to the way I work, for better or for worse lol. The most drastic, very unlike me thing I did was to ask others to do things that I would normally have done, like asking my user to arrange meeting, asking my user to tabulate a spreadsheet for tender evaluation, and talking with people over the phone instead of meeting them face-to-face.

The next change I observed in my behaviour is that I talk and write less. For e.g, normally I will explain to you the problem until you understand, but when I dont have time, I don't even explain to you and just tell you, once resolve, you test, ok, case close. I only talk when really necessary, otherwise I just email minimally. I reply emails only if the world will stop or the train will crash if I don't reply. Normally I will also ask people what their immediate task is to understand what my team mates are doing, that also disappeared.

In terms of tasks to be completed by me in the same working hours, it is still the same, but because more issues will accumulate before I process them, resolution actions became more efficient when there are similar issues. So maybe... Economy of scale theory applies to my queue. Workload doesn't really matter, I will end up reprioritising what to do, tasks stay longer in queue, but they still get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment